The Woolpack Inn dates back to the 17th century. Based on the High Street, our historic pub played a vital role in the day-to-day village life of Banstead.
For most of the 19th century, local parish business was held at the pub. John Ingrimes, who was landlord at the pub for a period of this time, was also Receiver of the Mail, an important position at a time when mail was delivered by a network of coaches.
Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, the pub acted as a watering station for local buses that had struggled up the hill from nearby Sutton. Early radiators were notoriously prone to overheating - which made The Woolpack Inn a prime spot to let things cool down!
The original Woolpack Inn was badly damaged on August 8, 1944 when a German V1 flying rocket landed nearby, killing one person and injuring many others.
It was decided that the old pub had been damaged beyond repair. This gave Surrey County Council the opportunity to redevelop the area and, crucially, to widen the High Street.
The current Woolpack Inn was given planning approval in 1955, and was promptly rebuilt. To this day it remains at the heart of Banstead village life, and we hope it will for years to come. Want to learn more about our history? Stop by for a chat and bite to eat today!